Sticky Rice Dumpling
- 1 kg Sticky Rice (glutinous rice)
- 350 g Pork belly
- 5 cloves Garlic lightly chopped
- 10 Each Mushroom
- 8 Each Dried scallops
- 6 Each Salted duck egg yolks halved
Seasoning for pork belly
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Pinch Pepper
Seasoning for mushroom
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For cooking glutinous rice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
For soak leaves and cook dumplings
- Water As needed
For wrap dumplings
- 50 Each Leaves Can prepare extra if worry it breaks during wrapping dumplings
- 1 bunch String
- Soak bamboo leaves one day ahead or overnight until they are softened. If you are running out of time, at least 3 hours. Rinse with water and wipe bamboo leaves on both sides to make sure they are clean.
- Carefully put the leaves into a large pot or a container to soak and cover them with cold water. Be careful not to break the leaves.
- Cut the pork belly into chunks. Mix with seasoning, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat up the wok, and sauté the pork belly until aromatic. Set aside.
- Saute mushroom and dried scallop together. Add in pork belly and stir. Set aside.
- Heat up the wok, add oil, and saute rice in few minutes.
Wrap dumplings method:
- Take two leaves, the smooth side would face up, layer them together to form a triangle cone.
- Add the fillings in this order: 1 spoon of rice, 1 spoon of pork belly with mushroom, and dried scallop.
- Add a halved salted duck egg yolk, and top with 1 spoon of rice.
- Take one more leaf and wrap it around the edge of the triangle cone so the edge is wider.
- Fold both sides of the leaf to the middle, then take the top part of the leaves and fold down.
- Use strings to wrap the dumpling tightly.
- Prepare a large pot, and heat up water. You can also use bamboo steamers as well. Repeat steps above to finish wrapping all the dumplings, till there is any filling left.
- Add in steamer rack to the large pot, place dumplings on top, and cover.
- Cook the dumpling with medium to high heat for 2-3 hours. 3 hours recommended.
- Let the dumplings cool down.
- Enjoy and can serve with sauce if needed.
- Prepare more bamboo leaves just in case if some might break while wrapping.
- Also can soak bamboo leaves in boiling water.
- If it breaks when you wrap the dumpling, you can hold the cone with one hand and add another leaf to wrap around it.
- Cook dumplings in batches if your pot or steamer is small. might break apart while wrapping.
Recommendation of ingredients:
- Dried shrimp
- Green been
- Chestnut, peanut
- Lotus seed
Sweet dumpling filling:
- Red bean